It doesn’t matter if you are an experienced Dungeon Master or are new and would like to try your hand at GMing a game set in Exandria. Living Tal’Dorei is a great introduction to this unique setting that you can jump right into without having to spend a lot of time creating you own campaign.
Whether you choose to run a game at home, for friends, or to gather a group of players together in a gaming store, will find yourself an integral part of far-reaching shared story. In keeping with the spirit of Critical Role, we strive to make Living Tal’Dorei a world full of role-playing experiences as well as challenging combats, giving you the power to fully bring Tal’Dorei to life for your players.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO GM?
While we’re fans of having all the bells and whistles at your disposal, we’re also gamers ourselves. We know what its like to be broke and scowl at the price of all those shiny hardcover gaming books!
So here are the basics that you really should have as your prepare to run a Living Tal’Dorei adventure–as well the extra items we think are worth splurging on when you’re able to expand your collection.
- Dungeon Master’s Guide (Dungeons & Dragons 5E)
- You really can’t GM without it. Read it, absorb it; become one with it. (Too much? Okay…in that case, just be ready to refer to it when needed.)
- Player’s Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons 5E)
- The same goes for the official Dungeons & Dragons PHB. You need to know how to play the game as well as how to run it.
- Living Tal’Dorei Handbook Supplement (click for download)
- A Living Tal’Dorei module.
- A set of dice, pens/pencils, and paper.
- 3-7 players
- Trust us here; any more or less and the scaling of the adventure starts to get weeeeeeird.
NICE TO HAVES
- Critical Role: Tal’Dorei Campaign Setting (5E)
- Is it 100% necessary? No. We’re giving you the setting flavor necessary in each adventure. However–nothing is going to give you a better, deeper understanding of Tal’Dorei than this book. Nothing.
- And–come on. If you’re a Critter, you probably love Matt Mercer as much as we do. He poured a lot of time and effort into giving us this amazing world to play in–show him some love.
When you are the one running the game you get to reap the rewards as well. In each module the XP, Off Hours, Honor, and Gold you will gain when you finish running a module is listed. Below are additional rewards you will earn as a GM when you hit specific milestones. All of these accumulations and rewards can be used to create a character or be applied to an existing character you already play in this system.
Bidet To You!
- Join the Reddit Subgroup r/LivingTaldorei and follow Phil Cole on Twitter.
- Reward: 500xp per condition met for a single character of yours.
- The first time you GM a Living Tal’Dorei module or Trial of Heroes in a season
- Reward: Potion of Healing or 10 Downtime days to a single character of yours.
Putting in the Time
- When you GM 24 combined hours of Living Tal’Dorei modules within a season.
- Reward: You may choose one of the items given during the modules you ran in that time period and apply it to a single character of yours.
Here We Go Again
- Run a single module more than 3 times in a single season.
- Reward: 500xp for a 2 hour or the Introduction. 750xp for a 4 hour module.
On The Spot
- Run any module on no notice.
- Reward: Double the GM rewards from the module. It does not count for additional time towards Putting In the Time.
- Run Living Tal’Dorei at a Convention, Trial of Heroes, or an approved Game Day.
- Reward: Gain an additional 500xp towards your rewards for running the module.
- Each new player who is playing Living Tal’Dorei for the first time.
- Reward: 250xp applied to a single character of yours. Can only be applied once per module (will not stack if two or more people are new for a session)
Season 1 Specific Quests
Trials and Tribulations
- GM a Season 1 Trial of Heroes.
- Reward: You may create any LT legal character starting at level 5. That character also gains the following; 5 Healing Potions, 6 Renown in the Season Faction of your choice, 50 Downtime Days, 5,000gp, A single Tier 1 Season 1 magic item, A single Tier 2 Season 1 magic item. The items gained from this are not tradable. Items from Trial of Heroes and Faction Lists are included as choices.
All Stories Must End
- Run all Season 1 modules and both Trial of Heroes for season 1.
- Reward: You may create any LT legal character starting at level 11. That character also gains the following; 5 Greater Healing Potions, 20 Renown in the Season Faction of your choice, A completed Faction Secret Mission, The “Tapped By” Story Award, 200 Downtime Days, 10,000gp, A single Tier 1 Season 1 magic item, 2 Tier 2 Season 1 magic items. The items gained from this are not tradable. Items from Trial of Heroes and Faction Lists are included as choices.